If you would like to adopt a Shiba from NYCSR, we recommend that you submit an application right away. If you wait, the dog you are interested in may very well be adopted before your application is processed.
The Adoption Process
Our adoption process works like this:
- The first step is to submit an application. An application MUST be completed before any home can be considered.
- If you are interested in a particular dog, please state that on your application, but be aware that there is no guarantee that you are first in line for that dog or that we will feel that dog is the best fit for your family.
- All applications are reviewed in chronological order based on date received.
- Depending on the initial review, we check references and conduct a home visit.
- Note 1: All family members and residents – 2 and 4-legged, must be present for the home visit.
- Note 2: If you have a dog, the volunteer who conducts the visit will bring a dog, to get a feel for how your dog interacts with others.
- After the home visit, if we have a dog that you are interested in and we think is a good match, then we set up a time/place for you to meet the dog.
- Note: For potential adopters with a dog or dogs, we may have you meet the foster without your dog(s) first and THEN meet again to introduce the dogs. That way you get to know the foster dog a little first without having to focus on how the dogs are interacting.
- Following the meeting, there is a 24 hour waiting period during which all parties decide if the adoption should move forward.
- Please be advised that an adoption donation is required to adopt our dogs. Not only does that partially cover our expenses to care for our foster dogs, but it also helps demonstrate that our adopters are serious about their commitment to their new family member. The adoption donation ranges from $150 to $400, depending on age and whether the dog is a mix (detailed NYCSR Adoption Fees). This donation is not tax deductible, as you are receiving your new family member in exchange. Any donation you make in addition to the adoption fee is tax deductible.
|1 – 6||$350.||$300.|
|7 – 9||$250.||$200.|
How To Apply
- Complete and submit the online form http://manage.nycshibarescue.org/webForms/adoption/
- If you prefer, you can always download the form and either
- fax it to 212-658-9657
- or mail it (USPS) to
P O Box 20271
Greeley Square Station
New York, NY 10001
Frequently Asked Questions About Adopting
- I live in _____ state (or Canada). Can I adopt a dog from NYCSR?
- Yes. There are NYCSR alumni living in about a dozen U.S. states and Canada.
- Can the home visit be waived? I will send you video of my home.
- No. Home visits are never waived. (Even our founder had to have a new home visit form on file before fostering a dog after moving.)
- Can the 24 hour waiting period be waived?
- No. We’ve had adopters, fosters, and volunteers travel back and forth, stay in hotels, or whatever is necessary to complete this requirement. It cannot be waived.
- How long does the process take?
- There is no standard timeframe. NYCSR is staffed by volunteers only who all have full time jobs, family, dogs, etc. and do this on our spare time.
- Can I go there and choose the dog I want/like?
- First, there’s no there to go to: NYCSR is not a shelter; our dogs live with foster families until they find their forever homes. We match dogs to adopters based on what is best for the dog.
Not Sure About Adopting? Try Fostering!
If you’re considering adopting but not quite sure for one reason or another, consider fostering instead. It is a commitment, but a short term commitment compared to adoption and you will be directly helping to save a dog’s life. Please consider fostering a Shiba for NYCSR.