The Adoption Process
Our adoption process steps are the following:
- Applications are reviewed in chronological order based on date received.
- We ask that you select at least one and at most three of the dogs in our care that are available for adoption and that you think are a good match and why.
Please, visit this page with their profiles to get to know them better.
- If the dog(s) listed in your application is(are) a match to your family, we check the references you provided. Otherwise, a member of the Adoptions Team will contact you to discuss options.
- Your references MUST NOT include family members or veterinarians.
- The next step is to conduct a home visit. This requires finding a volunteer living near you and, in some cases, it may take some time to identifying one.
- All members of your household, 2 and 4-legged, must be available for the home visit.
- Note: If you have a dog, the volunteer who conducts the visit may bring a dog, to get a feel for how your dog interacts with others.
- After the home visit, if we have a dog that you are interested in and we think is a good match, then we set up a time/place for you and your family, 2 and 4-legged, to meet the dog.
- Following the meeting, there is a 24 hour waiting period during which all parties decide if the adoption should move forward.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Adopt?
Please submit an adoption application
Not sure about Adoptiong? Try Fostering!
If you’re considering adopting but not quite sure for one reason or another, consider fostering instead. It is a commitment, but a short term commitment compared to adoption and you will be directly helping to save a dog’s life. Please consider fostering a Shiba for NYCSR